The Section for Medical Statistics(IMS) focuses on three main subjects:
- Research in the field of innovative statistical methods.The statistical methodological research focuses intermediate-term on the following topics:
- Sequential experimental designs
- Adaptive and flexible experimental designs
- Multiple hypothesis testing
- Designs for hypothesis selection in genetic studies
- Scientific Collaborations in the planning, evaluation and publication of medical studies. Annually, the Section of Medical Statistics cooperates in up to 200 projects. Cooperations can be initiated at our weekly Consulting Seminar.
- Teaching of Biostatistics in various degree programs at the Medical University of Vienna and support of students for the planning and analysis of diploma theses projects. The Section for Medical Statistics also coordinates the statistical education in the modules SSM2 and SSM3 for human medicine (curriculum N202) and dental medicine (curriculum N203).
The section was founded in 1969 as independent Department of Medical Statistics and Documentation at the Medical Faculty of the University of Vienna. In 2004, it merged with the Departments of Medical Computer Sciences under the designation "Core Unit for Medical Statistics and Informatics (MSI)" of the Medical University of Vienna. Since 2010, the it is a section of the Center for Medical Statistics, Informatics and Intelligent Systems.